Customer Business Requirements
With the deadline for PCI compliance fast approaching, our customer needed to move quickly to upgrade technology at all of its 1,400 fast food locations. They also wanted to use the opportunity to install hardware at every location to improve employee productivity. Among other steps, this involved removing old cable and installing new cabling infrastructure to ensure consistent equipment and network performance at all locations. Since stores needed to remain open during the technology upgrade, Bailiwick performed all installations between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.(4:30 a.m. at locations that served breakfast)and finished all work at each location in one night.
The Bailiwick Difference
This customer chose Bailiwick because of our ability to organize quickly and execute flawlessly, as well as our proven nimbleness at managing complex operations on a large scale. As with so many of our IT projects, planning and preparation occurred simultaneously, but with no impact on our usual high quality results. Early in the project, we spent two weeks conducting on-site, in-depth training with our lead technicians, an essential step that enabled them to instill the project requirements with other teams.
In this particular case, we also helped the customer work through challenges on sites in the U.S. and Canada, as well as manage expanded scope that required more than one visit to certain stores. In the end, we provided a complete turnkey solution that included:
- Materials management
- Configuration and consolidation
- Installation of low voltage, cabling and LAN/ WAN equipment, including wireless
Among the challenges we overcame during the project were:
- Complex scheduling requirements
- Equipment shortages
- Data transition delays
- Failure of equipment mounts
- DSL failures
- Hard lid ceilings
- Delayed shipments
- Data transition delays
- Delayed shipments of original manufacturer equipment to our configuration center
- Managing additional responsibilities introduced during the project rollout
Project Services Overview
- 1,400 sites received a technology refresh/ upgrade over 9 months
- Equipment upgrades included an average of 16 devices per store or 23,000 devices across the entire chain
- Twenty five technicians were trained during the initial phase and supplemented with 20 additional techs in a “train the trainer” program
The true measure of Bailiwick’s ability to organize, plan and deploy assets on a project this massive can be summed up in one telling anecdote:We moved faster than our customer anticipated, so much so that they asked us to slow down our schedule. The technology upgrade turned out to be one of the most successful projects this fast food chain has deployed. As a result, Bailiwick has been involved in additional projects, including new site openings and additional technology refreshes.